Chinese Luogu Percussion Ensembles
The Lion's Roar is an exciting introduction to the fire and fury of traditional percussion ensembles. For the first time in English, readers are presented with the cultural and historical background of the tradition, an overview of instruments, and transcriptions for eleven ensembles, four of which include songs featuring melody instruments and Chinese words.
The text is engaging and easy to follow, and the ensembles are appropriate for use by groups from elementary school through adult. Music and social studies faculty, students of Chinese music and culture, and ethnomusicologists will find The Lion's Roar fascinating, thorough and very accessible.
Ensembles include: Lion Dances, Dragon Dance, Festival Parade, Flower-ball Dance, processionals, and others.
The 8.5" x 11" book includes:
- Copy-OK transcriptions for each piece
- Mnemonics (chanted rhythm patterns) for each piece
- Step-by-step guide to mastery and performance
- Cultural Context
- Guides for adapting classroom instruments
- 16 photographs; paper-cuts, drawings
- Glossary and Pronunciation Guide
The companion audio recording includes:
- Chinese ensemble directed by Han
- Mnemonics and performances as written in the book
- Every selection in the book is on the recording
Set of 13 full color downloadable images (created from the original slides) with teacher's guide includes photos of:
- Traditional Chinese instruments
- Performing ensembles
- Lion Dance
Click here to go to the Downloads page now.
Downloadable PDFs, Performance/
(both Print and Downloadable versions: 66.3MB download)